Well, most of you know I’m an East Coast girl. Living in Louisville was too far to the west for me (and they play in the SEC). But, PHX was closer to water than the ville is – so its gotta be better!
Even though I’ve been to CA, AK, and CO, and TX, I’ve never been to
AZ – until now. Can I go back? I definitely think another vacation will be planned there for sometime in 2011 to see Sedona, the Canyon, and everything I didn’t get accomplished in the PHX area in 72 hours. Hmmmm, when is the perfect time to go there?
So, here are some thoughts.
1. It was prettier than I thought – or even wanted to believe? Really what can be pretty about spread out desert places? You would be surprised… While on top of Estrella Mountain (or one of them) yesterday I was just singing aloud because of the beauty of God’s creation. Even the cactus (plural of course) were prettier than I thought and now one of the pics is my desktop on my netbook.
2. When “beginning our initial descent” into PHX on Sunday, I was hogging the window. The teenager beside me lived there, so I didn’t feel too bad – she had seen it before, but eventually I leaned forward so she could see, too. But, the red clay – stone – whatever it is – I thought looked like the porous shells you find at the beach. So pretty.
3. When driving down 85 and 10 and being able to see so far in the distance because there were so few trees hindering your line of vision…so cool. I was hiking in the Estrella mtns and saw Camelback.
4. I really thought PHX and Goodyear were especially friendly cities. PHX claims to be the “friendliest” airport. I had a great experience with everyone I encountered there and at the Enterprise place.
5. There was a Trader Joes. Even though I didn’t stop (because I had to get back to my hotel room to check out), I knew it was a beacon of goodness shining the light for my turn (it was my landmark).
6. The sunrises and sunsets were great. Very glad though that Goodyear is west of Phx so I wasn’t driving into the sun both days in the morning. This morning was bad enough trying to find my exits and turns with the sun glaring you in the face.
7. I think the sky is bigger out west. Yes…me, who loves the ocean (and still do, going there this weekend)…the sky is closer and further away at the same time. I literally loved the blueness of the sky, the fact that I thought I could reach up and touch the sun, or the clouds just hovered perfectly. It was gorgeous.
8. Something else I never thought I would say…106 in PHX with under 20% humidity is cooler than 95 in RDU with 75% humidity. I definitely believe that now.
9. Palm trees, cacti, mountains, desert – all grown to display the glory of God on the face of the earth. Even as I was reading tonight on the plane – all grown to be redeemed to their Maker.
10. I believe you guys (all my West loving people) – there is beauty away from the East Coast. I will be paying a return visit. Don’t worry.
“Before the mountains were brought forth, or ever you had formed the earth and the world, from everlasting to everlasting you are God.” –